The Department of Libraries & Research is charged with the responsibility of providing free library and reading room facilities to the public. This objective is being achieved through a chain of public libraries at division, district, tehsil and block level across Jammu & Kashmir. Titles on individual subjects, general interest and reference books are made available to visitors and borrowers catering to various age groups and interests.
The Vision of the Department is to attain a state where every person in J&K is an informed citizen by making ensuring easy and swift access to knowledge and information.
1. To promote the culture of reading, writing and research.
2. To provide books and other reading material to different reading interests.
3. To create and promote an atmosphere of research by providing access to books and manuscripts.
4. To create awareness among people about the written word.
5. To preserve manuscripts for posterity and make them available for researchers and scholars.
1. Making available books on different subjects and in different languages at public libraries.
2. Providing newspapers in libraries to keep people abreast with the happenings around the world.
3. Preparing Inventories, Indices, Catalogues and other Reference Media of books and manuscripts available in various libraries of the Department.
4. Holding seminars, debates, book-exhibitions to generate awareness about the written word.
5. Publication of manuscripts in the form of books.
6. Promotion of local languages by purchasing books from local authors.
7. Digitization and archival of manuscripts and rare/reference books.
1. Writers, poets, students and public in general
2. Research Scholars from J&K and outside.
3. All the residents of J&K state as active or potential members of public libraries and as stake-holders in the rich cultural heritage of this state.
4. Citizens with grievances against the Department or any of its libraries.
5. Stakeholders in the promotion of library movement in J&K.
1. Reading community is provided with national and local newspapers and magazines to keep them abreast with the latest happenings around the globe.
2. Keeping facilities available for the public use of reference media, records and publications.
3. Circulation of books and making available of periodicals and reference materials of varied general interest through the chain of public libraries and lending depots/reading rooms across the State.
4. Providing, against payment, copies of manuscripts or parts thereof to the scholars for their use in accordance with rules.
Grievance Redressal System:
1. Under Right to information Act 2010.
2. The two Deputy Directors functioning as provincial heads have been nominated as Public Information Officers for the two Divisions to redress public grievances under the Right to Information Act with provision of Appeal to the higher authorities and to the Chief Information Commissioner.
Expectations from Citizens:
Citizens are expected to:
1. Make full use of public libraries and take advantage of the Government policy to promote the culture of reading, writing and research.
2. Return in time the books issued to them from public libraries so that dissemination of knowledge in respect of other people is not blocked.
3. Value the treasure present in the libraries as priceless heritage required by them and their future generations for understanding themselves and the world.
4. Participate in the promotion of the culture of reading and writing by taking full advantage of the library facilities.
5. Provide feedback on the library services and suggest improvement.
6. Utilize the library source to know their past in order to understand their present